Liz Elks carried out some training in the summer for the regional training Unit in NI which was very positively received. She had been asked to run a course called Communication Counts over 2 days to KS2 teachers. As usual Liz evaluated the course. The results are as follows:
The extent to which stated objectives were met: 76% excellent, 25% very good
The extent to which the course was worthwhile: 73% excellent, 24% very good, 3% good
How enjoyable you found the course: 66% excellent, 31% very good, 3% good
Appropriateness of course content: 60% excellent, 33% very good, 7% good
Relevance to your present responsibilities: 56% excellent, 30% very good, 14% very good
Tutor: Liz Elks: 86% excellent, 14% very good
- Parking improved from previous day, but still quite a distance to walk to venue. Catering moved quicker.
- Liz was very interesting and informative. I found the course very useful. We were provided with lots of relevant information and strategies.
- Would be great to attend a course for specific age difficulties. A long day, a lot of information jammed into the session.
- Really enjoyed the ‘practical classroom tips’.
- Fantastic venue and great course. Really beneficial.
- Fantastic course, very well delivered and extremely relevant to all aspects of current work. Presenter was excellent at explaining all information. Thank you.
- Fantastic course from fantastic presenter, many thanks!
Main Learning Points
- Excellent course. Well worthwhile. Propose to disseminate information as part of whole school capacity building or speech and language.
- Strategies for developing S & L within my own class.
- Developing vocabulary, very useful ideas.
- Ideas for my own class, encouraging children to speak, effective strategies.
- Able to brush up on existing knowledge.
- Valuable gains from course surrounding the area of word finding, (very effective strategies and will put into practice). Word association, dyspraxia and storytelling.
- Word Wize Whizz, word maps and resources for KS2.
- I really liked the practical activities for working with the children. Appropriate for a wide age range.