Speech and Language Support for 0-3s course outline
Session 1: What is Communication?
- Identify the processes involved in communication.
Session 2: Adult-child interaction and non-verbal communication
- Examine the effect of adult-child interaction on the development of communication skills.
- Explore the importance of non-verbal communication behaviours.
Session 3: Play for Language
- Explore the link between play & language development and the development of social play.
- Develop skills to promote play & support language development at key developmental stages.
Session 4: Listening, attention and understanding spoken language
- Develop strategies to promote listening and attention and link these to the EYFS Development Matters statements.
- Develop strategies to encourage the understanding of language including additional languages.
Session 5: The Language Journey
- Explore typical development of language learning.
- Learn strategies to help children to develop a wide and varied vocabulary.
- Consider how to meet the needs of the different EYFS age groups.
Session 6: The Blank Language Scheme
- Facilitate development of supporting verbal reasoning.
- Practise modifying the adult’s language according to individual needs.
Session 7: Encouraging the development of spoken language and clear speech
- Develop strategies to encourage the use of early phrases and sentences.
- Explore how we articulate sounds and their typical development.
- Discuss strategies to support young children with unclear speech.
Session 8: Sharing books, using rhymes and exploring the link to early literacy
- Consider the link between speech, language and early literacy development.
- Explore how to use songs, rhymes and books to support communication.
Session 9: Working with parents and carers to support communication development
- Discuss effective ways of supporting parents to develop their child’s early communication skills.
- Discuss how knowledge gain from the course links with the two year review process.
Session 10: Linking it all together
- Present evidence of applying knowledge gained across the course during everyday activities.