Schools as Commissioners: ASD: Courses for Parents
Let's Talk Together
This highly successful level 1 accredited course has been written to support parents and carers (including child minders) and school based practitioners wanting some key skills and knowledge in developing the communication skills of children with social communication need including autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
It is designed to run over 7 weeks, each session lasting 2 hours; it can also be taught in four half day sessions.
It is taught by an experienced speech and language therapist who has been trained by Elklan.
Elklan courses are externally quality assured and accredited by an OfQual regulated national Awarding Organisation. Participants can achieve 3 credits at level 1. Learners do not have to complete the accreditation, it is their own choice.
What is taught?
- What is communication and what is autism?
- The Chat Challenge - how adults can help children with social communication needs interact more effectively
- Using physical and visual structure at home and in the workplace.
- Developing listening and understanding
- Asking questions and sharing books
- Developing interaction with peers and adults
- Behaviour is communication
Want to find out more or commission a course for your school or cluster?
Contact us by phone or online